- What did you do today?
- Briefly describe your day’s activities
We were given an opportunity to participate in the "Automatic Waste-Sorting (AWS) Machine" project and "Battery charging from bi-cycle pedal power" project. The principals on how the "Automatic Waste-Sorting (AWS) Machine" works to sort out the waste materials was very simple, using just the weight,size and magnetic properties to sort them out. For the "Battery charging from bi-cycle pedal power" project, we revisited the physics topic on circuits, learning how to generate power by the spinning motion of the tyre, connected to a DC motor which in turn transfers the energy into the battery.
- What did you learn today?
- Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
We learnt more about energy conversion and also how some campaigns are actually doing for harm then good. For an example, once burning fuel to convert into electrical energy, it has to be used as it wont be stored. So on earth day, we are burning fuel to create energy but however we are just switching of the lights, not using the energy. The already brunt fuel to convert into electricity cant be stored thus wasted. From the "Automatic Waste-Sorting (AWS) Machine", i've learnt how to spot simple differences and thus using that difference to achieve ur goal. In this case, realising they have different sizes, weight or magnetic properties.
- How do you feel about today’s activities?
- Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere
It has stretch our problem solving skills, reminding us that we need to be flexible and apply our skills and ingenuity.
- Share your insights for the day
We got to fiddle around with the "Automatic Waste-Sorting (AWS) Machine" built by our mentors and also found out how to generate electricity through a DC motor connected to a bicycle tyre. This has made my mind think, to come up with a design which can fit all of it into one compact machine.
- What new questions do you have regarding the discipline
- How can i better design an object
- What is a more efficient way to create an design.